1. Types of Information We Collect: Nelvana Digital collects two types of information – personal data and anonymous data. “Personal data” means personally identifiable information that specifically identifies a User as an individual. “Anonymous data” means information that does not directly identify a User. Additionally, anonymous data includes “aggregate” and “de-personalized” information, which is data Nelvana Digital collects about the use of the Nelvana Digital Service, from which any personally identifiable data has been removed.
The personal data Nelvana Digital may collect, process and use may include, but are not limited to:
(i) device properties, including, but not limited to IP address, Media Access Control (“MAC”) address and unique device identifier or other persistent or non-persistent device identifier (“Device ID”);
(ii) device software platform and firmware;
(iii) mobile phone carrier;
(iv) game progress, feature usage, time used playing, score and achievements;
(v) in-app transactions and content access or download;
(vi) geographical information; and
(vii) other anonymous data as reasonably required by Nelvana Digital to enhance the Service and other Nelvana Digital products and services.
The types of personal data collected may vary depending on the type of activity the User is engaged in. Nelvana Digital may use tools or third party analytical software to automatically collect and use certain data.
2. How We Collect Your Information: A User may make personal data available to Nelvana Digital by:
(i) Subscribing to a Service, downloading additional content, or purchasing in-app content;
(ii) Voluntarily answer polls or survey questions that may be used in conjunction with sponsor’/business partners.
(iii) When a parent/guardian contributes user generated content to the Service or participates in any support forums, community blogs or the like that Nelvana Digital may establish;
(iv) Requesting technical or account support; or
(v) Otherwise through use of the Nelvana Digital Service where personal data is required for use and/or participation.
Nelvana Digital tracks the number of visits to our websites and how Users interact with the content online. All information gathered in this way is generic, and we do not track individual users from this data.
When a user sends an email message to Nelvana Digital, two pieces of information are automatically stamped on the message. These are the time that the message was sent, and the IP address it was sent from. This is a precautionary measure against any potentially threatening messages being sent to Nelvana Digital, its staff, or the public. This information is only used in those extreme cases where we feel someone's safety may be at risk.
Nelvana Digital may disclose personal and anonymous data to its partners and contractors for purposes of analyzing usage of the Service, providing customer and technical support, managing and providing the Service (including managing advertisement serving, where and how permitted by law), customizing Nelvana Digital’s communications, and to further develop the Service and other Nelvana Digital services and products. When Nelvana Digital shares this information, it is with vendors and other service providers who are engaged by or working with Nelvana Digital in connection with the operation of the services Nelvana Digital provides to the User and/or for analytics purposes which may require the reproduction and display of such information in an aggregated manner such that will not in any way identify the User.
If a User contacts Nelvana Digital by email, Nelvana Digital will use the personally identifiable email address information only to respond to the specific inquiry. The Service may use “cookies” and other technologies such as pixel tags, locally shared objects, clear GIFs and web beacons. Nelvana Digital treats information collected by cookies and similar technologies as anonymous data.
Cookies: A “cookie” is a small bit of record-keeping information that websites often store on a user’s computer. Nelvana Digital’s cookies do not include personal data and are typically used to quickly identify a User’s device and to “remember” the User. Users can disable cookies or set their browsers to alert them when cookies are being sent to their device; however, disabling cookies may affect their ability to use the Service.
Web Beacons and pixel tags: A “web beacon” or a “pixel tag” is an electronic image that allows Nelvana Digital to count Users who have visited certain pages or viewed certain advertisements. Web beacons, like cookies, do not include personal data.
Nelvana Digital Service may incorporate dynamic advertisement serving technology offered by Advertising Network Providers (“Ad Providers”), which enables advertising to be temporarily uploaded into a Service and replaced while a User plays. Logged data may include Internet Protocol Address or player’s user name, in game location, length of time an advertisement was visible, size of the advertisements, and angle of view. The User’s game may be assigned an ID number, which is stored on your device, and used by Ad Providers to calculate the number of unique and repeat views of dynamic in-game advertising. The ID number is not associated with any personal data. No logged information is used to personally identify Users. The servers used by the Ad Providers may be located outside a User’s country of residence. This ad serving technology is integrated into a Service; if a User does not want to use this technology, Nelvana Digital advises using the Service while disconnected from the Internet.
Nelvana Digital may disclose a User’s personal data to third parties as required by law enforcement or other government officials in connection with an investigation of fraud, intellectual property infringements, or other activity that is illegal or may expose a User or Nelvana Digital to legal liability. Nelvana Digital may also disclose a User’s personal data to third parties when Nelvana Digital has a reason to believe that a disclosure is necessary to address potential or actual injury or interference with Nelvana Digital’s rights, property, operations, Users or others who may be harmed or may suffer loss or damage, or Nelvana Digital believes that such disclosure is necessary to protect Nelvana Digital’s rights, combat fraud and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on Nelvana Digital. To the extent permitted by applicable law, Nelvana Digital will make reasonable efforts to notify affected Users of such disclosure through Nelvana Digital’s website or in another reasonable manner.
When a parent/guardian discloses data about him- or herself in the course of contributing user generated content or participating in support forums, community blogs or the like, the information disclosed is public information, there is no expectation of privacy or confidentiality. Nelvana Digital is not responsible for any personal data a User makes public in any of these forums.
5. Third Party Terms and Conditions: A User’s access to and use of the Service may be subject to certain third party terms and conditions and privacy policies, including but not limited to application stores, mobile software platforms, on-line gaming platforms, social networking services and payment providers. Nelvana Digital is not liable for any such third party terms and conditions and their use of Users’ personal data.
Nelvana Digital may in its discretion make available links through advertisements or otherwise enable Users to access third party products or services. Nelvana Digital is not responsible for the actions of such third parties, the content of their products or services, the use of information a User provides to them, or any products or services they may offer. Nelvana Digital’s linking to those products or services does not constitute its sponsorship of, or affiliation with, such third parties.
9. Further Information: Nelvana Digital makes good faith efforts to enable Users to review, update or correct any personal data in Nelvana Digital’s possession. Users should contact Nelvana Digital at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nelvana Digital will need sufficient information from the User to establish the User’s identity and to verify the User’s access, and also to assist in handling the User’s request. Even if personal data is changed or deleted according to a User request, Nelvana Digital may still retain some of User personal data to resolve disputes, enforce Nelvana Digital user agreement(s), and comply with technical and legal requirements and constraints related to the integrity, security and operation of Nelvana Digital Services.
10. Notice to Canadian Residents regarding Membership on Kids Websites: Nelvana Digital operates websites in Canada that collect information from children under 13 years of age such as www.ytv.com. Nelvana Digital complies with PIPEDA regulations and guidelines from the Canadian Marketing Association (“CMA”) that we are required to follow. One of the rules is that users under the age of the age of majority require parental/guardian consent prior to providing any personal information (subject to certain exceptions provided by the CMA). However, there are other important privacy measures we take such as never asking for more personal info than what we deem necessary - and storing any info we do collect in a secure database only accessible by the Site staff or our authorized third party service providers who are required to comply with applicable privacy laws. We take extra steps to prevent members from disclosing their personal info on our Site by monitoring the interactive features and actively enforcing our rules.
Any personal identifiable info collected from our members is for Site purposes only (e.g. Membership verification, contest fulfillment, etc.) We will never sell or give any of this information to third parties, except with your or, if you are under the age of majority, your parent or legal guardian’s consent; Sometimes we may share aggregated info collected from our Polls, however specific Members are never identified.
Attn: Corus Privacy Officer
Re: Nelvana Digital
25 Dockside Drive
Please make any communications as complete and descriptive as possible and we will attempt to respond promptly to your concerns.
© 2014 Nelvana Digital Inc.